> 3 angle valve job vs. 5 angle valve job
jtmxrider
post Sep 23 2008, 08:53 PM
Post #1
New Hire
Group Icon
Group: Members
Member No.: 4276
can anyone explain to me why some ppl tell me that 5 angle valve jobs are more for track only cars, and why they wouldnt be very street worthy or reliable?
ive heard that if its goin to b drivin on the street more than the track then i need to go with a 3 angle....
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SiberianFirestor...
post Sep 24 2008, 12:09 AM
Post #2
Master Technician
Group Icon
Group: Global Staff
Member No.: 1315
For drag racing, it is worth the money. For a daily driver or a more street car, it is not worth it.

Matt

--------------------
It is better to appear stupid then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Steal all that you can, yet take nothing. -- Simply put, if someone is willing to teach you, then be willing to learn and appreciate it.

1995 Trans Am Convertible 6 speed
1995 Formula T-Top A4 --SOLD--
1990 Formula T-Top A4

+Quote Post
Me Too
post Sep 26 2008, 12:22 AM
Post #3
1st Class Tech
Group Icon
Group: Members
Member No.: 5304
It's the width of the seat that determines which is better for street or strip. Obviously for the street and valve sealing longevity you want the widest seat possible, so a three angle is considered the best. However, with a 5 angle job, the air transistions more smoothly around the valve head and that makes a bit more horsepower, but the valve sealing over the long haul isn't as good.

A wider seat transfers heat from the valve head to the head better. GM uses a single cut, the head is 45 degrees and the valve is 46 degrees, a three angle valve job will add horsepower over this arrangement and will give acceptable life, but the GM single cut will last longer. Honda uses a three angle on all of its engines, and gets maybe 250,000 miles out of a valve job. With a high quality valve, such as a Feria 6000 series, or Manley Pro-Flow, it doesn't seem to make any difference how many angles are cut.

I'd go with a three angle for the street and using stock valves.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topic  Start new topic  
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 09:31 AM