Photo

Crane 1.6 roller rockers on a TPI L98....

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LT1FUN

LT1FUN

Tire Changer

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 08:34 PM

I installed a set of Crane's "Gold Race" 1.6 rockers on my L98 about 2 weeks ago. Since I was no longer using them on my 4th gen LT1, I figured it would be a quick easy way to pick up some HP on my IROC.

In order to save on the down time, I used my old LT1 valve covers since I wanted to paint them before hand. The only difference between the LT1 covers and the L98 is that the LT1's are "notched" on the passenger side to make room for the alternator. Other than that, the L98/LT1 covers are the same.

I have no issues with clearance at all.

After finally being able to test drive the car, the power increase provided by the 1.6 rocker's was immediately apparent. For starters, the car seems to run a lot smoother. Not just driving around town, but at idle as well. Don't exactly know the reason for this, but it was definitely an unexpected bonus. On top of that, it pulls a lot harder then it did before, especially from 3500+. It was definitely worth the 2 hours I spent installing them..

I put the car on the dyno the next day and with nothing more than those rockers and a full exhaust upgrade (not even a full 3" exhaust at that and I'm still running a cat)), I put 212hp and 290 at the wheels. All else is 100% stock (minus the replacement air filters)

I'd say 1.6 roller rockers are a relatively cheap and affordable mod for some quick and easy HP. A definite "seat of the pants" improvement for sure. :biggrin:

Edited by LT1FUN, 18 November 2006 - 08:35 PM.

My Car: 1993 LT1 Formula Firebird
My website: LT1FUN.COM

Project "New Old School" - My carb'd 396 LT1 build-up
Click this Link

#2 custom87blackbird

custom87blackbird

Tire Changer

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 08:57 AM

i was looking to do the same for some added power without ripping into the short block.....this is exactly wat i wanted to hear. wat is the part number for the rockers u have there? im having trouble finding anything on summit that will fit our car....idk why? i def want 1.6 rollers but i dont want to spend a butt load maybe like 100-170$. the rockers that fit our heads are they self aligning?

how much u think u gained from the rockers? i kno u did the exhaust and is that a complete including 3" after cat as well? supposedly u get like 10hp with a rocker upgrade. 212hp and 290 at the wheels...i wonder wat that equates out to at the engine, since ours is stock at 225hp and 330/340 tq
87 FIREBIRD FORMULA 350
homemade fiberglass ram air with box K&N filter
aftermarket RAM AIR 2 hood functional
handmaid rear aero wing with LED 3rd brake light in wing
descreend MAF
ported plenum and port matched for SLP runners
SLP siameased runners
SLP airfoil
adjustable fuel pressure regualtor at 50psi
underdrive pullies
low temp fan switch 160 hypertech
low temp thermastat 160 hypertech
MSD blaster coil
Stewart Warner Performance gauges, autometer triple gauge pillar, nordskog digital trans temp gauge
TDS Wonder Bar
Graphite impregnated front sway bar end links and sway bar bushings
removed AC and smog equipment
Long tube 1 5/8 headman headers, custom 3inch true duals no cats, and dumps before rear axel
Motorvation Chip
B&M megashifter, totally work trans, trans go shift kit, high performance plates (extra for overdrive), servo's and kick down valve, full manual control, upgraded 13 vein pump, racing B&M trans cooler
handmade tubular lower control arms and panhard rod with polyurethane bushings
all stainless steel braided brake lines
cross drilled and slotted rotors
SSBC's upgrade perfromance calipers front, new stock calipers on rear
NEW!!!! accel ignition controler, MSD cap and rotor, custom made mallory wires, new plugs, motorvation TB spacer, SSBC proportioning valve (got rid of stock combo valve), CUSTOM THRU FLOOR SUBFRAMES (my design took 2 weeks), CUSTOM MOLDED NEWARK AUTO BLACK CARPET front and rear.

new BLACK paint job all body work done by me filled in antenna hole for sleek look as well as holes in trunk lid NO DECALS
new SLP 5 spoke 17x8 hyper black rims rapped in nitto's ZR 245/45/R17 all around

coming soon!! UMI adjustable panhard rod with spherical end, LCA relocation brackets, new hardwear,INTRAX 2" lowering springs, BILLET 35% larger 1-2 trans servo, BILLET 50% larger than stock 4th gear servo, .500" mega valve, low reverse boost valve, Deep steel trans pan, raptor blood racing trans fuid, poly trans mount, poly torque arm bushing, poly rear sway bar bushings and end links, new tierods and bushings, poly front control arm bushings, edelbrock tie rod adjusters, 1.6" extruded alumium full roller rockers

#3 LT1FUN

LT1FUN

Tire Changer

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE(custom87blackbird @ Nov 22 2006, 08:57 AM) View Post
i was looking to do the same for some added power without ripping into the short block.....this is exactly wat i wanted to hear. wat is the part number for the rockers u have there? im having trouble finding anything on summit that will fit our car....idk why? i def want 1.6 rollers but i dont want to spend a butt load maybe like 100-170$. the rockers that fit our heads are they self aligning?

how much u think u gained from the rockers? i kno u did the exhaust and is that a complete including 3" after cat as well? supposedly u get like 10hp with a rocker upgrade. 212hp and 290 at the wheels...i wonder wat that equates out to at the engine, since ours is stock at 225hp and 330/340 tq

It's been a couple years since I first purchased these for my 4th gen LT1 Formula, but I'm pretty sure the part no. was 270-10758-16. They go for about $320US give or take. They're self-aligning by the way, and even though the product description says "LT1/LT4" they'll also fit our TPI cars without issue.

I'd say these were worth about 10-15hp throughout the entire RPM range from 2500+ Yes, I have an after market exhaust, (Dynomax) but it's not actually a 3" system. It's 2.75" (don't ask me why) but with just the headers, cat-back and the rockers, yes, 212hp and 290 at the wheels. Considering my cat-back isn't even a 3"diameter, those numbers are pretty good, still, and show just how much of an improvement the rockers really are.

Generally, the rule of thumb is, you lose 20% of your power through an automatic equipped car. My guess is the car (with just those 3 mods) puts out aprox. 265hp and 360lb of torque at the fly wheel.

In '88 these cars were rated at 230/330 so that's aprox 35hp and 30 lb torque increase from headers, roller rockers, and 2.75" exhaust. Not too shabby.

Also keep in mind this is a 190,000km motor.....

The Crane's are overly expensive though, and I'm sure a lot of that is paying for the name alone. You would get the same results I did with a different brand roller rocker...

Edited by LT1FUN, 26 November 2006 - 12:20 AM.

My Car: 1993 LT1 Formula Firebird
My website: LT1FUN.COM

Project "New Old School" - My carb'd 396 LT1 build-up
Click this Link

#4 custom87blackbird

custom87blackbird

Tire Changer

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:06 PM

i was thinking about profroms extruded aluminum from summit, part # PRO-66915...the only prob is that it doesnt say for centerbolt valve covers. same part # for jegs with a C at the end says centerbolt valve covers. although the summit has a PRO-66915C is doesnt give me any info about the rockers. the ones i ordered though do say 3/8 stud, self aligning, narrow body, polylock, fits 305 and 350, fits engines 87-2000 and i believe that all engines after 87 recieved centerbolt valve covers...

190,000km motor....wat does that equate out to in miles lol smile.gif
i got 128,000 miles on the clock with out ripping the heads, pan, or intake baseplate off at all. all stock long block(i dont count the runners or plenum in long block) sounds like you got me beat though.

Edited by custom87blackbird, 30 November 2006 - 07:11 PM.

87 FIREBIRD FORMULA 350
descreend MAF
SLP siameased runners
SLP airfoil
underdrive pullies
MSD blaster coil
Stewart Warner Performance gauges, autometer triple gauge pillar, nordskog digital trans temp gauge
TDS Wonder Bar
Long tube 1 5/8 headman headers, custom 3inch true duals no cats, and dumps before rear axel
Motorvation Chip
B&M megashifter, totally work trans, trans go shift kit, high performance plates (extra for overdrive), servo's and kick down valve, full manual control, upgraded 13 vein pump, racing B&M trans cooler
NEW!!!! accel ignition controler, MSD cap and rotor, custom made mallory wires, new plugs, motorvation TB spacer, SSBC proportioning valve (got rid of stock combo valve), CUSTOM THRU FLOOR SUBFRAMES (my design took 2 weeks), CUSTOM MOLDED NEWARK AUTO BLACK CARPET front and rear.

new BLACK paint job all body work done by me filled in antenna hole for sleek look as well as holes in trunk lid NO DECALS
new SLP 5 spoke 17x8 hyper black rims rapped in nitto's ZR 245/45/R17 all around

coming soon!! UMI adjustable panhard rod with spherical end, LCA relocation brackets, new hardwear,INTRAX 2" lowering springs, BILLET 35% larger 1-2 trans servo, BILLET 50% larger than stock 4th gear servo, .500" mega valve, low reverse boost valve, Deep steel trans pan, raptor blood racing trans fuid, poly trans mount, poly torque arm bushing, poly rear sway bar bushings and end links, new tierods and bushings, poly front control arm bushings, edelbrock tie rod adjusters, 1.6" extruded alumium full roller rockers

#5 cart69

cart69

2nd Class Tech

• Members
  • 746 posts
  • Year: 1970
  • Make:Pontiac
  • Model: Firebird

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:06 PM

just make sure you look for narrow body rockers so they fit under centerbolt valve covers and self aligning or SA unless you wanna run guide plates. look on ls1tech dot com and some other forums i got my set or 1.6 RR for 75 shipped and they are the silver ones meade by crane for the lt1 hotcam kit good deals to be found out there
94 Z28
hardtop
4 point roll cage
Brett Bauer custom grind blower cam
Vortech V2 supercharger
AFR heads
52mm BBK throttle body, yella terra 1.6 RR, crane ignition and coil
Hooker Coated long tubes, mufflex 4 inch y pipe, B&B catback
SLP springs, Bilstien shocks
LS1 front brakes
4:10 rearend, tubular panhard bar and box LCA's
17" ZR1 Chrome Wheels
Converted auto to M6

Mines the teal one in the middle :)

#6 91formula

91formula

3rd Class Tech

• Members
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:cars,atv's,dirtbikes,women,and speed...
  • Year: 1996
  • Model: Trans-Am
  • Engine:5.7 350
  • Transmission:T56
  • Modifications:
    ws6, LT4 intake manifold, LT4 HotCam, BBK throttle body, Valvetrain, hooker longtube headers, borla exhaust w/ cat delete, K&N intake, tune.

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE(custom87blackbird @ Nov 22 2006, 08:57 AM) View Post

if ya'l are talking about the 5.7 litre 350 tpi engine then it comes stock with 245 hp and 345 ft lbs of tourque...atleast mine did....i have a 91 formula and i checked out the stats sheet on a website that tells me hp ratings and gears...etc. also..can i run a 3" exhaust even if i dont have headers yet....shuld i leave the cats or take them out...they have some weird looking metal tube running into them and im not sure what it is yet....i dont think it is the o2 sensor but it could be on the other end of the tube that i cant see....

#7 custom87blackbird

custom87blackbird

Tire Changer

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 08:13 AM

yea we are but ours is the 87-88 model and are only rated at 225hp and 330 torque. yea u can run a 3 inch exhaust like in the form of a catback, u just need a conversion peice to fit the y pipe to a 3 inch cat, or a peice to fit the cat to the 3 inch catback, the weird metal tubes that are running to the cats are scavanger tubes that route excess gases back into the exhaust. the 02 sensors look like sensors with a wire comint out of them and are located usually stock on the exhaust manifold collector. i wouldnt touch the cats unless u upgrade with headers, ypipe and cat back then i might do high flow cats....but then u wont pass emissons if u take them out
87 FIREBIRD FORMULA 350
descreend MAF
SLP siameased runners
SLP airfoil
underdrive pullies
MSD blaster coil
TDS Wonder Bar
Motorvation Chip

#8 91formula

91formula

3rd Class Tech

• Members
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:cars,atv's,dirtbikes,women,and speed...
  • Year: 1996
  • Model: Trans-Am
  • Engine:5.7 350
  • Transmission:T56
  • Modifications:
    ws6, LT4 intake manifold, LT4 HotCam, BBK throttle body, Valvetrain, hooker longtube headers, borla exhaust w/ cat delete, K&N intake, tune.

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE(custom87blackbird @ Feb 4 2007, 08:13 AM) View Post
yea we are but ours is the 87-88 model and are only rated at 225hp and 330 torque. yea u can run a 3 inch exhaust like in the form of a catback, u just need a conversion peice to fit the y pipe to a 3 inch cat, or a peice to fit the cat to the 3 inch catback, the weird metal tubes that are running to the cats are scavanger tubes that route excess gases back into the exhaust. the 02 sensors look like sensors with a wire comint out of them and are located usually stock on the exhaust manifold collector. i wouldnt touch the cats unless u upgrade with headers, ypipe and cat back then i might do high flow cats....but then u wont pass emissons if u take them out

quick queston...how can u produce 212 hp on a dyno but then get 290 hp at the wheels?? it makes no sense to me....

#9 Creed420

Creed420

Oil Changer

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE(91formula @ Apr 18 2007, 04:49 PM) View Post
quick queston...how can u produce 212 hp on a dyno but then get 290 hp at the wheels?? it makes no sense to me....

just a guess.... maybe he either ment 290lb of torque at rear wheels OR maybe the gear ratios has something to do with it gaining a bit more HP?

Btw, gratz on the upgrade! chalk it up to another project done, one day at a time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users