305 TBI to TPI swap

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Blackbird Jon

Blackbird Jon

Master Technician

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  • Interests:Too many interests to list, but no matter what is going on I'm just trying to enjoy one day at a time whatever life may throw my way.
  • Year: 1998
  • Make:Pontiac
  • Model: Trans-Am
  • Engine:LS1
  • Transmission:Auto
  • Modifications:
    SLP lid, SLP Loudmouth cat-back, SLP line lock, Kenny Brown DD SFC, Kenwood deck

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:29 PM

So I am about to swap my '88 350 TPI stuff onto a 305 original TBI short block. Should this thing just fire right up?

Also, how different, if any, are the tune(s) programmed into the same year model, 1988, TPI vs. TBI motors?

Whatever, another black Formula will be back on road sooner rather than later.

#2 SiberianFirestorm

SiberianFirestorm

Master Technician

• Members
  • 1,806 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Cars, women
  • Year: 1995
  • Engine:5.7 LT-1
  • Transmission:M6
  • Modifications:
    K&N FIPK, Borla Tunable Cat Back, Granatelli MAF, 1LE intake Elbow, Accel 48,000V Coil, Accel 9000+ Wires, Ported Water pump, BMR ADJ. upper & lower A-Arms, BMR ADJ. Panhard Bar and LCAs, KYB Agx 8 way adjustable shocks, SLP Bolt-on SFCs, SS Alum. Driveshaft, SLP Short Throw with Lou's Short Stick, 17 x 8 Eagle Alloy 077s with Firehawk SZ50EP 275/45/R17 front and 285/40/R17 in the back, Royal Purple in Tranny and Differential, and Purple Ice in coolant.

Posted 16 May 2008 - 03:49 AM

You will need the ECM and wiring harness. i am not 100% sure that a 350 setup will work on a 305, but if it does let me know.

Matt
It is better to appear stupid then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Steal all that you can, yet take nothing. -- Simply put, if someone is willing to teach you, then be willing to learn and appreciate it.

1995 Trans Am Convertible 6 speed
1995 Formula T-Top A4 --SOLD--
1990 Formula T-Top A4

Posted Image

#3 Mongoose

Mongoose

Tire Changer

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:47 PM

Be sure to get a 305 TPI knock sensor and you'll either need to change the injectors to 19 pounders or have the programming changed to compensate for the 22#ers in a 305 TPI PROM. TPI and TBI PROMs are totally different animals, it'll need to be changed
Mongoose-Nature's cure for the Cobra

#4 Blackbird Jon

Blackbird Jon

Master Technician

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  • Interests:Too many interests to list, but no matter what is going on I'm just trying to enjoy one day at a time whatever life may throw my way.
  • Year: 1998
  • Engine:LS1
  • Transmission:Auto
  • Modifications:
    SLP lid, SLP Loudmouth cat-back, SLP line lock, Kenny Brown DD SFC, Kenwood deck

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE(Mongoose @ May 16 2008, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Be sure to get a 305 TPI knock sensor and you'll either need to change the injectors to 19 pounders or have the programming changed to compensate for the 22#ers in a 305 TPI PROM. TPI and TBI PROMs are totally different animals, it'll need to be changed

You've hit on something Mongoose... I called the dealership and asked about ECMs... they said that either car had the same part# listed for the ECM, but I figured even with the same number, they could have different tunes via the chip.

The plan, just to clarify, is to pull 305TBI from Firebird, mate my 350TPI hardware however it takes to mate it to this 305, then install all back in Formula350 using it's harness and ECM.

So just to help my simpleton mind, parts to be installed to make this work are: TPI intake pieces, TPI injectors, 305TPI knock sensor, and reprogrammed PROM to fit combination... right track?

What about the distributor? Should I run the 305TBI original, or go with the one from my 350TPI?

Keep in mind with suggestions... budget rules and I am sitting on 2 complete cars so hopefully many parts can swap. cool.gif

#5 Mongoose

Mongoose

Tire Changer

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:39 PM

I don't see how TPI and TBI can use the same ECMs, the PROM for a TPI is physically larger than a TBI PROM. The distributors should be identical small cap HEIs. As long as you're just swapping the engine itself and keeping the receiving car's ecm,harness,TPI and such you're good. You just need a 305 TPI PROM and knock sensor.
Mongoose-Nature's cure for the Cobra

#6 SassySue09

SassySue09

Master Technician

• Members
  • 8,512 posts
  • Interests:my cars, my friends and having fun with both of them.
  • Year: 1987
  • Model: Formula
  • Engine:carbed 305
  • Transmission:700R4
  • Modifications:
    '79 Carmine Red Formula with red interior; 301 with an automatic; all original and matching numbers; totally stock and going to stay that way too. In the process of restoring it but it's still on the road and running strong. #2280 of Formulas built that year.

'87 Bright Red Formula - 02 leather corvette seats; Pioneer triple face headunit w/remote; PS2; 10 speakers (RF and Pioneer); 2 12" subs in custom build sub box; preamp; amp; metered cap; 02 Chevy Exteme rims; Flowmaster 50 series custom catback; TransGo stage 2 shift kit; K&N air filter; engine - original carbed 305 being swapped for a custom built 355.

'97 Black T/A - auto; Magnaflow catback; air foil; March overdrive and underdrive pullies; B&M stage 2 shift kit; K&N air filter; 02 WS6 rims; SunCoast ram air hood; 3.42 gears; custom hood bird; anodized purple interior and engine bay details

'99 Navy Blue Metallic T/A - auto; Magnaflow catback; Comp Cam; beehive springs; upgraded pushrods, retainers, rocker arms; LS6 intake; Pacesetter LT headers and ORY; TCI extreme street 3600 stall; K&N air filter; EGR and Air Pump delete; 3.23 gears; Eagle Alloy 077 17" rims; SLP line lock; C.A.M. tune, dynoed at 370 rwhp/379 rwtorque

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:37 AM

I don't have any info for you about the parts you'd need since I'm more of a carb gal then a TBI/TPI one but I just wanted to wish you luck with the swap and that I hope you don't have too many problems getting it done. cool.gif

Yes they're all mine and no I'm not crazy.

Having problems with something on the site please contact me: click here

#7 jedimaster

jedimaster

Oil Changer

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • Interests:Cars, comic books, weight lifting.
  • Year: 1997
  • Model: Firebird
  • Engine:LT1
  • Transmission:T56
  • Modifications:
    Edelbrock longtube headers, Magnaflow catback, airfoil, Moroso intake, throttle body bypass, factory foglights, Gran Sport stripes, Subaru 6 disc CD changer with seperate amplifier.

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:58 PM

A friend of mine in high school had an 85 305 TPI car with a blown engine- they put a 350 in and bolted everything back up and it ran like a champ (with the engine light on, for whatever reason). I'm not sure if this helps, but there you go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users