• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Year: 1994
  • Make:Pontiac
  • Model: Formula
  • Engine:350ci
  • Transmission:4l60e
  • Modifications:
    comp cams 1.6 roller rockers, comp cams lifters, cai, headers, 3800 stall, comp cam .540"/.534" lift

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:53 PM

can anyone explain to me why some ppl tell me that 5 angle valve jobs are more for track only cars, and why they wouldnt be very street worthy or reliable?
ive heard that if its goin to b drivin on the street more than the track then i need to go with a 3 angle....

#2 SiberianFirestorm

SiberianFirestorm

Master Technician

• Members
  • 1,806 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Cars, women
  • Year: 1995
  • Model: Trans-Am
  • Engine:5.7 LT-1
  • Transmission:M6
  • Modifications:
    K&N FIPK, Borla Tunable Cat Back, Granatelli MAF, 1LE intake Elbow, Accel 48,000V Coil, Accel 9000+ Wires, Ported Water pump, BMR ADJ. upper & lower A-Arms, BMR ADJ. Panhard Bar and LCAs, KYB Agx 8 way adjustable shocks, SLP Bolt-on SFCs, SS Alum. Driveshaft, SLP Short Throw with Lou's Short Stick, 17 x 8 Eagle Alloy 077s with Firehawk SZ50EP 275/45/R17 front and 285/40/R17 in the back, Royal Purple in Tranny and Differential, and Purple Ice in coolant.

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:09 AM

For drag racing, it is worth the money. For a daily driver or a more street car, it is not worth it.

Matt
It is better to appear stupid then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Steal all that you can, yet take nothing. -- Simply put, if someone is willing to teach you, then be willing to learn and appreciate it.

1995 Trans Am Convertible 6 speed
1995 Formula T-Top A4 --SOLD--
1990 Formula T-Top A4

Posted Image

#3 Me Too

Me Too

1st Class Tech

• Members
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:Good music, audio video stuff, our art collection, watches, cars, cycling and electronic design.
  • Year: 1994
  • Model: Formula
  • Engine:Modified LT1
  • Transmission:6spd
  • Modifications:
    6spd manual transmission, with 3.42 diff. Fully ported and polished heads, big valves, Titanium retainers, AFR Hydra Rev Kit, Crane 1.6 roller rockers, Extrude Honed exhaust manifolds, K&N filter, air foil, OBDII PCM, teflon coated air intake, flow bench corrected intake and exhaust passages, ported and polished intake manifold, everything port matched. Custom, high output, dual diode bridge alternator. Borla Exhaust system. LT4 clutch and hydraulic clutch release unit. Custom driveshaft. KYB AGX shocks. X-Brace. Cross drilled brake rotors. One of only two verified 1LE Firebirds made in 1994. Engine has 6,600 rpm shift limit. Green with gray leather interior and all factory options.

That's the good news, bad news is that I no longer own the car.

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:22 AM

It's the width of the seat that determines which is better for street or strip. Obviously for the street and valve sealing longevity you want the widest seat possible, so a three angle is considered the best. However, with a 5 angle job, the air transistions more smoothly around the valve head and that makes a bit more horsepower, but the valve sealing over the long haul isn't as good.

A wider seat transfers heat from the valve head to the head better. GM uses a single cut, the head is 45 degrees and the valve is 46 degrees, a three angle valve job will add horsepower over this arrangement and will give acceptable life, but the GM single cut will last longer. Honda uses a three angle on all of its engines, and gets maybe 250,000 miles out of a valve job. With a high quality valve, such as a Feria 6000 series, or Manley Pro-Flow, it doesn't seem to make any difference how many angles are cut.

I'd go with a three angle for the street and using stock valves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users