Machine Shop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 McDub

McDub

Tire Changer

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:My car, my tools, my computer, and....eh.....I know I'm missin' somethin'......oh yeah! My wife. My bad.

Posted 30 September 2003 - 12:18 AM

Anyone know of a good machine shop in Southern California (I'm in Camp Pendleton, CA) that I could get my block work done? I'm in the military and not from around this area so I don't know anyone reputable.
McDub
1978 Formula Firebird
Oldsmobile 6.6L 403ci
Oldsmobile 350 7A Heads 64cc (9.6:1)
Comp Cams Magnum Steel Roller Rockers
Comp Cams High Energy Pushrods
Comp Cams Guide plates
Holley 3310 - 750cfm
Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake
Edelbrock Performer RPM Camshaft and Hydraulic Lifters
Edelbrock Performer Valve Springs
Edelbrock Performer Timing chain
Flowtech Longtube headers (The price was right)
Flowmaster 40 series mufflers
Hayden XMSN cooler
Speed-Pro Gaskets
Energy Suspension Poly eng/xmsn mounts
MSD Pro-billet distributor
MSD 6-AL Ignition
MSD Blaster 3 coil
MSD Timing Controller
B&M Quicksilver ratchet shifter
Holley 110gph electric fuel pump

#2 charles

charles

Master Technician

• Members
  • 6,811 posts
  • Interests:Firebirds, art, music (stereo and surround sound), racing bicycles, jogging, pet lizard, my wife and engineering, but not in that order

Posted 30 September 2003 - 01:54 AM

Ohhhh....yeah! Do I know a shop!? You betcha! smile.gif These guys have overhauled one Corvette 350 for me, including head work and also did the heads for my present car. How much you wanna pay, they are not the cheapest around, one look around the shop and you'll see why, rare and expensive engines, ability to make their own crankshafts from billets, internationally known for the quality of their work? Is it important that you get flawless machining and the ability to have it done right the first time? Remember, in this case you get what you pay for. Check these guys out:

ESI Racing Engines
7149 Mission Gorge Road
San Diego, CA 92120
(619) 229-7765

Ask for Bob, he owns the place, but anyone can help you. It's not that far from Camp Pendleton. Go South on I-15 almost to I-8, take the last turn off before going over I-8 (if you go over I-8 you went too far). At the stop light turn left and follow Mission Gorge Road for a couple miles till you come to the building--it's on the right. If you go on Saturday, call ahead of time, becuz Bob does soccer with his boys on Saturday. Tell him Charles O'Toole suggested him, it won't get you any special favors and won't get me any either, but hey, what the heck. I like Bob.

You might also talk to him about porting and polishing, the guy that does it is probably one of the best in the business.
Charles (94 Formula T-Top, green/gray leather, 6spd, some stock parts remaining, some even work).

My disclaimer: Any information that is furnished by me, is sometimes the result of endless hours of frustrating research and it might come from recognized authorities on the subject that I don't know. Sometimes it is also my personal opinion. Remember, your results may vary...mine certainly do.

Driving a Mustang is like wearing the wrong size shoe, so why bother.

#3 dave94

dave94

Tire Changer

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • Year: 2001
  • Make:Pontiac
  • Model: Trans-Am
  • Engine:ls1
  • Transmission:6-speed
  • Modifications:
    Stock

Posted 30 September 2003 - 02:55 AM

Hay I'm done in san diego stationed at mirimar. You might want to try JBA it's in san diego. the address is 7149 mission gorge rd. there phone number is (619)-265 3056 There suppose to be pretty good, I work with 2 guys that use them all of the time. Give them a call see if thay can help.
ohhrah
94 trans am,
flowmaster american thunder exhaust
BMR Lower Control Arms
kyb adjustable shocks
poly tranny mount
meziere elec. water pump.
moroso 8mm plug wires

#4 dave94

dave94

Tire Changer

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • Year: 2001
  • Make:Pontiac
  • Model: Trans-Am
  • Engine:ls1
  • Transmission:6-speed
  • Modifications:
    Stock

Posted 30 September 2003 - 02:58 AM

opps I just realized that is the same place that charles told you about. Maybe I should have read the whole post first! I guess thay changed there name though
94 trans am,
flowmaster american thunder exhaust
BMR Lower Control Arms
kyb adjustable shocks
poly tranny mount
meziere elec. water pump.
moroso 8mm plug wires

#5 charles

charles

Master Technician

• Members
  • 6,811 posts
  • Interests:Firebirds, art, music (stereo and surround sound), racing bicycles, jogging, pet lizard, my wife and engineering, but not in that order

Posted 30 September 2003 - 04:00 AM

Don't call them JBA. They used to work exclusively for JBA some years ago, then sorta broke away--I think bad blood. In fact, when they did my 78 Corvette 350, they were still JBA and they called my engine "Brand X" on the tag. Their new shop is located next door to the JBA tubular header shop. You should see that rare overhead cam Ford 427 sitting inside. Now, that is an engine I could learn to live with. Geez, intakes the size orange juice cans....
Charles (94 Formula T-Top, green/gray leather, 6spd, some stock parts remaining, some even work).

My disclaimer: Any information that is furnished by me, is sometimes the result of endless hours of frustrating research and it might come from recognized authorities on the subject that I don't know. Sometimes it is also my personal opinion. Remember, your results may vary...mine certainly do.

Driving a Mustang is like wearing the wrong size shoe, so why bother.

#6 Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton

Orientation

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 01:12 PM

As an alternative for the sake of comparison, you may wish to contact Gregg Luneak at Tri-City Competition in Vista (760-630-9094). Gregg is widely known in NHRA circles (Stock/Super Stock) as one of the most meticulous block prep guys in our business. I drive all my race blocks down to Gregg from LA for decking, boring, and honing. He has a complete inventory of bearings, rings, gaskets, etc. as well. Gregg always has time to explain what he's done, what needs to be done next, and never calls me a dummy when I make a mistake. He's equally at home with Chevys and Mopars. I'm sure he's familiar with Fords but I don't usually have contact with those guys so I'd better not comment on them.

Good luck with this decision. If the block isn't right, nothing will be right.

Chuck

#7 Skinned Knuckles

Skinned Knuckles

2nd Class Tech

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • Interests:pontiacs,2nd gen F bods&Vintage top fuel cars

Posted 05 October 2003 - 04:57 AM

Ed Hale Machine and Performance
8455 Wintergardens Blvd.
Lakeside, California ( San Diego East County)
619- 443- 4250
In business for 40 years.They race and win.
All makes serviced 4 cyl. to V 12
Daily drivers to full race.
Full service machine shop including magnuflux testing ,sonic testing, cylinder head porting and flow bench testing, and engine balancing
Inhouse dynamometer facility

#8 70 Formula 400

70 Formula 400

Oil Changer

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:If only I had a car.

Posted 06 October 2003 - 01:14 PM

here are a few places I use. these guys are da best! they get me anything I want for my Formula, Trans Am, and Dodge. They do the work and are very pro.

Speed Shop USA
2365 W. Whitter Blvd
La Habra CA 90631 - 3404
Tel (562) 690 1506

or these guys. THE carburetor people of California.

Santa Ana Speed Center
120 S Broadway
Santa Ana, CA 92701
Tel: (714) 835-6452

Non car number

Fedel Castro, professional Gardening
(909) 946-8563

Just funny to as for Fidel Castro and they say hold on ill get him lol

Good place for Rod and Custom Accesories

Nazztalgia, Hot Wire
Bryal Allen
124 North Aviador ST. #13
Camarillo, CA 93010

Nazztalgia is a good place, my friend goes there, that is were I got the 69 Charger RT SE with the 440 in it. It was in the parking lot for sale with a 72 Trans Am, that I think sold, got the Charger project for $5,000 tongue.gif

And 1 more non car related place.

If you are in Pomona, stop in here BEST PIZZA IN THE WORLD....PERIOD

Pizza 4 Less!
3131 N Garey Ave.
Pomona, CA 91767
(909) 596-6666

$5 for any Large! you cant beat that deal and the pizza is amazing!

also Camp Pendelton is a good place, went there in ROTC for boot Camp.
I have been OWN3D by a good friend of mine John, I am a stupid ###### hole that tried to pass off his car as mine and worked untell I got busted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

birth control tablets
buy antibiotics online